What is an Effective Food Plan?
Over 90% of dieting attempts fail. Over 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. The dieting industry makes billions. Doesn’t compute? Right. In my blog, What is a diet?, I list the characteristics of most diets that are sold to people and that people try to follow. Here we will discuss the characteristics of an effective food plan.
Your food plan is going to be effective if it:
- Is not rigid. Instead of stipulating what you should and shouldn’t eat, it gives guidelines but doesn’t eliminate any foods completely.
- Can easily be followed for the rest of your life.
- Does not require you to buy any special foods or equipment.
- Emphasizes the importance of nutritious and colorful foods.
- Emphasizes the importance of increasing your activity level and exercise.
- Is not depriving in any way.
- Is realistic in the expectations it sets with respect to weight loss, weight goals, and the behaviors you should follow.
- Can be easily individualized to fit your lifestyle.
Use this list to be a better consumer when trying to choose an effective food plan.